Sitting in my in-laws living room my daughter starts to do something she isn't supposed to. Before I can even get a word out, both of them begin to yell at her. Why? Do they even know the way we would like to parent her in that situation? NO, they've never even taken the time to ask. And honestly, if there weren't so many issues with how they parented their own kids I might be more trusting or understanding. But it is so continual. CONTINUAL. Whenever they are around I never even get to say a word. I want to parent her with a soft, loving, gentle, and yet serious touch. Not a snapping, angry clapping, degrading one. I am simply tired of it. Leisel doesn't need to made to feel like she is already screwing up at this age.
Parenting isn't about getting your child to obey, listen, or "put attention". It IS about raising your child in a loving and caring manner. Why yell when you don't have to? But that isn't even what the post is about.
I AM TIRED OF THEM JUMPING IN TO THE PARENTING SLOT. I don't believe in group parenting. It sure as hell didn't work for their kids why would it work for their grandkids? IT FUCKING DOESN'T. She only becomes confused, loses confidence in us as her parents, and has already begun to look to them for answers instead of us. STOP. Let the parents parent. You can be in the background, willing to lend support. But let US watch her. Let US parent her. Let US scold her. Let US say now and give consequences. Not you guys!
You are the grandparents. That is it. It is not your job to raise her. Get out of the way. You think you're helping but really you are being detrimental to our choices. I am tired of it. I am ready to move away from this madness. I am ready to be able to parent.
The thing is, if we were able to ask things of them it would be fine. But how can we ask when whenever we do they get hurt like the world is ending. It isn't.
Please respect us as parents!!
No comments:
Post a Comment